course proyect part 2
Part 2 of your Course Project is due.
- The complete instructions and information for each Course Project assignment can be found on the Course Project – Introduction page in Module 02.
- Remember to proofread your submission in order to eliminate spelling and grammar errors.
Ethics Around the Globe: Project for Justice Studies students
Details from the police report:
On July 27, 2007, Lois Murphy was found dead on the floor of her garage, a victim of an apparent homicide. She was discovered by her brother, James Murphy, who had come to her residence to check on her after being unable to reach her for three days. James immediately called 911 to report the discovery.
Metropolis Police Department (MPD) conducted a comprehensive crime scene investigation; including photographing and videotaping the crime scene, collecting physical evidence, and gathering fingerprint evidence. The MPD classified the case as a homicide. Following the initial crime scene investigation, MPD detectives conducted an extensive investigation, interviewing many witnesses and following all credible leads.
Although there were multiple signs of blunt wound trauma around the head and face, according to the Metropolis County Medical Examiner (ME), the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the chest. The ME listed the cause of death as homicide.
The MPD eventually arrested William Tanner on suspicion of murder. The evidence indicates that the crime was motivated by an unpaid debt for drugs.
The crime occurred in the city and county of Metropolis.
Below, you will find a great deal of additional evidence that has been collected related to the homicide described in the previous police report. After reading this evidence, write a reflection which addresses:
1. What are some of the important legal issues in this situation that have come to light with the new information?
2. From the perspective of someone who follows Kant’s ethics, what are some of the ethical concerns? Why are these concerns for a Kantian?
3. How/where do you draw the distinction between what is morally right and wrong versus what is legally right and wrong? What do you do when you encounter something you believe is morally permissible, but is illegal?
4. What is your opinion of the situation?
The body of your reflection will need to be 3-4 pages and in APA format.