the concepts of conformity and obedience
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 7,8
- Minimum of 2 scholarly sources in addition to textbook and lesson.
While our focus in the lesson this week was on the concepts of conformity and obedience, we also studied group processes and dynamics in our readings for the week. For this assignment, select two specific groups to which you personally belong. This could be a church group, sports team, club, department at work, etc. In a slide presentation, address the following for each of the groups you selected:
- Describe the group (membership, purpose, etc.).
- Define the group roles, emphasizing your own role in that group.
- Describe the group norms.
- Analyze the group dynamics – How does the group communicate? How are decisions made? Who evaluates group members’ performance?
- Evaluate how dissension or conflict are managed within the group.
- Select two social psychology group concepts (for example: cohesion, groupthink, social loafing) and apply them to these two groups, comparing and contrasting how the group norms and dynamics impact how the group behaves.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
As you complete your presentation, be sure to:
- Use speaker’s notes to expand upon the bullet point main ideas on your slides, making references to research and theory with citation.
- Proof your work
- Use visuals (pictures, video, narration, graphs, etc.) to complement the text in your presentation and to reinforce your content.
- Do not just write a paper and copy chunks of it into each slide. Treat this as if you were going to give this presentation live to a group of middle school kids – be relevant, engaging, and focused.
Presentation Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 8-10 slides (not including title, introduction, and references slides)
- Font should not be smaller than size 16-point
- Parenthetical in-text citations included and formatted in APA style
- References slide (a minimum of 2 outside scholarly sources plus the textbook and/or the weekly lesson for each course outcome)
- Title and introduction slide required