Identify a quality improvement opportunity in your organization or practice(nursing). In a 1,250-1,500 word paper, describe the problem or issue and propose a quality improvement initiative based on evidence-based practice. Apply “The Road to Evidence-Based Practice” process, illustrated in Chapter 4 of your textbook, to create your proposal.
The road to evidence-based practice include the following five steps:
- Ask a question
Converting the need for information (about prevention, diagnosis, prognosis, therapy, causation, etc) into an answerable question
- Find information/evidence to answer question
Tracking down the best evidence with which to answer that question
- Critically appraise the information/evidence
Critically appraising that evidence for its validity (closeness to the truth), impact (size of the effect), and applicability (usefulness in our clinical practice)
- Integrate appraised evidence with own clinical expertise and patient’s preferences
Integrating the critical appraisal with our clinical expertise and with our patient’s unique biology, values and circumstances
Evaluating our effectiveness and efficiency in executing Steps 1-4 and seeking ways to improve them both for next time
Include the following:
- Provide an overview of the problem and the setting in which the problem or issue occurs.
- Explain why a quality improvement initiative is needed in this area and the expected outcome.
- Discuss how the results of previous research demonstrate support for the quality improvement initiative and its projected outcomes. Include a minimum of three peer-reviewed sources published within the last 5 years, not included in the course materials or textbook, that establish evidence in support of the quality improvement proposed.
- Discuss steps necessary to implement the quality improvement initiative. Provide evidence and rationale to support your answer.
- Explain how the quality improvement initiative will be evaluated to determine whether there was improvement.
- Support your explanation by identifying the variables, hypothesis test, and statistical test that you would need to prove that the quality improvement initiative succeeded.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.